Monday, October 12, 2009

Technical Difficulties

Anyone who happened to visit this site in the past month was probably a bit confused by what they saw. To make a very long story short, this site was under someone else's control for a while. The domain registration lapsed without my knowing (that's part of what makes it a long story), and someone else snagged it out from under me and turned it into an SEO site to advertise writing contests. Just the kind of thing you want happening, when your first book is a couple months from hitting the stands, and your website address is printed on the back cover.

Anyway, four very frustrating weeks later it's back in my clutches. I'll say this much: if you have a private domain, make sure your ownership of it is set up to auto-renew at each deadline, or at the very least, make sure you remember what the deadline is. In my case, two things went wrong: I thought I had auto-renew set up (I didn't), and I also changed e-mail addresses in the past year, and forgot to update the e-mail address I had on file with my domain registrar. So when my domain was getting ready to expire, they were sending me notifications, but I wasn't getting any of them. I didn't know anything was wrong until the day I went to my own site and found someone else's page there instead of mine. If you're looking to pioneer whole new ways of combining expletives at high pitch and/or volume, then I heartily recommend going through this experience.

No comments: